Permits & Services


All areas on the Navajo Nation are closed to non-Navajos unless you have a valid camping, hiking or backcountry permit issued by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department or other duly delegated tribal authority. Failure to have a permit is considered Trespassing on a Federal Indian Reservation.

DO NOT desecrate Navajo lands and violate the trust of Navajo people by discarding cremated human remains on tribal property. Please respect tribal beliefs.

NO ROCK CLIMBING or BASE JUMPING on Navajo Land. Please abide by the humble religious requests of the Navajo people and do not climb the Monuments. “Navajo law will be strictly enforced on this issue,” Parks Department Manager.


The Navajo Nation is comprised of more than 25,000 square miles and offers hikers numerous isolated trails and routes. For the safety of hikers who enter the reservation and for the protection of natural and cultural resources, the Parks and Recreation Department has implemented guidelines for backcountry use.

The trails are not improved or maintained, and are usually marked with rock claims. To reach the trailheads, topographic maps and drives over rough dirt roads are required. Roads can become impassable in wet weather, and conditions can change quickly. Travelers are cautioned to be prepared. To ensure having an enjoyable experience, plan your trip carefully. Most trails are rated strenuous to moderately strenuous, and good physical conditioning is important. Many Navajo families still live on the reservation annually, please be respectful of homesites and animals in these areas. The terrain is rough, water is scarce and the weather is often extreme in most areas.

In summer, the trails are hot and dry; in winter, elevations make them subject to severe cold and high winds. Due to the quick changes in the weather, be aware of the dangers of flash floods. While this danger is greatest during the summer monsoon season (July through September), flash floods can occur at any time of the year.

Camping fees apply per night for anyone over the age of 6.
Fees subject to change.
You willl need to obtain a camping permit from one of the following locations listed below.
Backcountry permit fees apply per person, per day.


There are a number of trails and routes being used by hikers from the Little Colorado Gorge, from Cameron to the confluence with the Colorado River, Marble Canyon bordering the Navajo Nation from Lee’s Ferry to the confluence of the Little Colorado River; side canyons of the San Juan River bordering the Navajo Reservation from Sand Island to Paiute Farms Wash; and the Rainbow Bridge trails around Navajo Mountain.  (Navajos consider Navajo Mountain as a sacred area, and ascending it is forbidden.) Grand Falls area also requires you to have a backcountry permit and is a day use area.

Location: Camping & Hiking Fees:
Rainbow Bridge Trail $12/person/night
Little Colorado River $12/person/night
Bowl Canyon Recreation Area $15/campsite (for 7 people)
San Juan River $12/person/night


Recently, the Kaibeto Chapter community has prohibited hiking and camping in the entire area of Upper Kaibeto, Navajo Canyon, Choal Canyon, (Kaibeto Creek), Peach Wash, and Butterfly Canyon. Also, the area around the Inscription House community and Tsegi Canyon, (Dowozhiebeto and Long Canyons) are closed. These Closures are due to trespassing across residential areas, NO PERMITS, DISTRUBING LIVESTOCK, LITTERING, AND THE POSSIBLE DISTURBANCE OF FRAGILE ARCHAEOLOGICAL RUINS


Dune buggies, jeeps, 4-wheel drive vehicles and motorcycles are prohibited off established trails and on roads.  Unnecessary trails or roads result in erosion to the fragile environment.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTION about a Hiking/Backcountry Use and Camping Permits

Call 928-871-6647 for any questions or contact any of the parks listed below:

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department
Window Rock Central Office
P.O. Box 2520
Window Rock, AZ  86515
tel: 928.871.6647
fax: 928.871.6637
emailThe office is located between the Navajo Nation Museum and the Window Rock post office in Window Rock, Arizona.  Information and permits can be obtained for hiking and camping on the south side of the San Juan River and Camp Asaayi Area.
Cameron Visitor Center
P.O. Box 459
Cameron, AZ  86020
tel : 928.679.2303
email: lcr@navajonationparks.orgThis visitor center is located at the junction of Highway 89 and Highway 64 in Cameron, Arizona.  Information and permits can be obtained for trails along the Colorado River, Marble Canyon, Jackass Canyon, Salt Trail Canyon, Totahatso Point, Rainbow Bridge trails, Cove Mesa, Coal Mine Canyon and areas in the western portion of the Navajo Nation.
Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office –
Antelope Canyon

P.O. Box 4803
Page, AZ  86040
tel: 928.698.2808
fax: 928.698.2820
The office is located next to the LeChee Chapter House, which is 3 miles south of Page, Arizona on Coppermine Road (Navajo Route 20).  Information and permits can be obtained for Rainbow Bridge trails, the Water Holes Canyon and the Lee Chee area.
Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park
P.O. Box 360289
Monument Valley, UT  84536
tel: 435.727.5870
fax: 435.727.5875
The office is located in the Monument Valley visitor center at Monument Valley, Arizona.  Information and permits can be obtained for San Juan River and the Oljato area.
Four Corners Monument
P.O. Box 861
Teec Nos Pos, Az. 86514
tel: 928.206.2540
Park Manager emailHighway 160 and NM State Highway 597 approximately 6 miles north of Teec Nos Pos, Az. Information and permits can be obtained for San Juan River and Four Corners area.



  • In accordance with the Resources Committee Land Use Policies, a camping fee will be charged of $5 per person, per night.  In addition a backcountry use permit is required for hiking.  The backcountry permit fee is $5 per person.
  • Stay on designated trails and routes.  Cutting switch backs damages trails and causes erosion and destruction of soil composition.  It can takes 100 years for soil and vegetation to recover from human impact.
  • A permit is required for fishing any lakes or streams, and also for hunting for game on land under the  jurisdiction of the Navajo Nation. Permits, fees, and dates can be obtained from Fish & Wildlife Department: PO Box 1480, Window Rock, AZ 86515. Or call 928-871-6451.
  • Respect the privacy and customs of the Navajo people.  Do not wander across residential areas or disturb property.  Obtain permission before taking pictures of the Navajo people.
  • Whatever your pack into the wilderness, you must carry out.  Nothing should be left buried or burned.  Substances such as food scraps and garbage will take years to decompose.  Also, wildfires can be started by burning trash.
  • Pets are allowed ONLY if on a leash at all times.   The backcountry is open range for livestock.
  • Photographs or video taken for commercial use is prohibited unless accompanied by a valid permit issued by Navajo Parks & Recreation or Navajo Office of Broadcasting Services.
  • Navajo Tribal Code Title 17, Section 1451, prohibits the use of firearms.
  • The Navajo Nation is not responsible for any injuries, accidents, or thefts of personal property during your visit.
  • Fires are permitted only in grills, fireplaces, or similar control devices.  No open ground fires.  There is always a danger of wildfires.
  • Do not disturb or remove animals, plants, rocks or artifacts.  Tribal Antiquity and federal laws are in effect.  Special permits are required from the Navajo Minerals Department and Natural Heritage Program to collect rocks or plants.
  • Consumption and/or possession of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs are prohibited.


    The Navajo Nation is not responsible for any theft or accidents during your visit. Parking your vehicles in isolated areas will not be monitored or surveillanced. You may however, obtain permission to park your vehicles at local residence. They may request a small fee.


Due to the isolation of these trails, rescue operations are not readily available. Remember that the majority of hiker fatalities occur with lone hikers. If a hiker is injured this leaves no one to go for help if you encounter trouble. Beware of potential problems and be prepared to do something about them.

ALL EMERGENCIES 1-800-338-7888

ALL EMERGENCIES (928) 608-6200
Window Rock District  928-871-7544 Kayenta District 928-697-5600
Tuba City District         928-283-3111 Chinle District     928-674-2111


A permit is required for fishing any lakes or streams, and also for hunting for game on lands under the jurisdiction of the Navajo Nation.  Permits, fees and dates can be obtained from the Fish and Wildlife Department.

Navajo Fish & Wildlife Dept.
P.O. Box 1480
Window Rock, Arizona  86515
tel: 928.871.6451/ 6452


A permit is required by the Navajo Nation for any person conducting or providing guided tour services of any kind. Contact the department for more information or view the park information on this website by selecting the park.

Navajo Nation Law (Title 5, Navajo Nation Code, §2501 et seq.), as amended, provides for the regulation of tour operators and guide services within the jurisdictional limits of the Navajo Nation. This law gives the Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation Department (Authority) specific authority to issue reasonable rules and regulations to implement this Act, and which rules and regulations are herein prescribed.


(print Title 5.pdf)


New Billboards
A written request must be submitted to the Department Manager, including location, size, duration, our business/organization. Please allow 2-3 weeks for review.

For Existing Billboards
Please contact Nathaniel Boyd, Navajo Parks & Recreation – 928.871.6647

Purchase Admission & Permits!
Purchase Admission & Permits!