The Navajo Nation is comprised of more than 25,000 square miles and offers hikers numerous isolated trails and routes. For the safety of hikers who enter the reservation and for the protection of natural and cultural resources, the Parks and Recreation Department has implemented guidelines for backcountry use.

The trails are not improved or maintained, and are usually marked with rock claims. To reach the trailheads, topographic maps and drives over rough dirt roads are required. Roads can become impassable in wet weather, and conditions can change quickly. Travelers are cautioned to be prepared. To ensure having an enjoyable experience, plan your trip carefully. Most trails are rated strenuous to moderately strenuous, and good physical conditioning is important. Many Navajo families still live on the reservation annually, please be respectful of homesites and animals in these areas. The terrain is rough, water is scarce and the weather is often extreme in most areas.

In the summer, the trails are hot and dry; in winter, elevations make them subject to severe cold and high winds. Due to the quick changes in the weather, be aware of the dangers of flash floods. While this danger is greatest during the summer monsoon season (July through September), flash floods can occur at any time of the year.

Contact the Park Office for detailed information about the trail you will venture.

National Park Service Backcountry Permit: Although there is no entry fee required for Canyon de Chelly National Monument, If you are taking a guided tour, you are required to obtain a backcountry permit. The fee is $2/person/day and can be picked up at Tseyi Dine’ Heritage Area Office at the Cottonwood Campground.

National Park Service – Canyon de Chelly National Monument
P.O. Box 588
3 miles E of HWY 191 on Rt 7
Chinle, AZ 86503
(928)674-5507 FAX

Navajo Nation Backcountry Permit: $12 per person per 24-hour period. Good for hiking and camping in the boundaries of the Navajo Nation.


A permit is required for fishing any lakes or streams, and also for hunting for game on lands under the jurisdiction of the Navajo Nation.

Permits, fees and dates can be obtained from the Fish and Wildlife Department.
Navajo Fish & Wildlife –
Dept. P.O. Box 1480
Window Rock, Arizona 86515


The Navajo Parks and Recreation Department was established by the Advisory Committee of the Navajo Tribal Council pursuant to Resolution CAU-48-64. The Department is responsible for the protection, preservation and conservation of the natural and cultural resources and values within established Navajo Tribal Parks, Monuments and Recreation Areas.

Requests for commercial filming and photography in areas under the authority of the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department are received regularly.  The purpose of these Commercial Filming and Photography Policy and Procedures is to establish guidelines to be followed in the application for, review, approval/disapproval, of commercial filming and photography permits.

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department shall allow commercial filming and photography in tribal parks, recreation areas and monument only in a manner consistent with these policies and procedures.

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department, has the authority to issue filming permits in tribal park areas pursuant to Government Services Committee resolution GSCJY-18-04, Section IV. J.

These policies and procedures apply within tribal parks, recreation areas, monuments and other areas under the authority and supervision of the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department.  The policy and procedures also apply specifically to filming and photography undertaken for commercial purposes, i.e. for financial gain or public display and exhibition.

OTHER TRIBAL LAWS – The Navajo Office of Broadcast Services has the authority to issue filming permits on the Navajo Nation in compliance with all Navajo Nation law.   The Office of Broadcast Services may not issue filming permits in tribal park areas without prior consultation with the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department and may not charge land use fees in such areas.   The Office of Broadcast Services may issue filming permits in non-tribal park areas without prior consultation with the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department.

Special Use Permits (non-refundable) – for photography/filming:
• Processing Fee/application for 1-3 people – $50.00
• Processing Fee/application for more than 3 people – $100.00
• Processing Fee/application (After the fact) – $200.00


A special permit is required for commercial filming and photography on all areas of Navajo land. A permit may be obtained by contacting the Navajo Office of Broadcast Services.

Office of Broadcast Services –
P.O. Box 2310
Window Rock, Arizona 86515

Purchase Admission & Permits!
Purchase Admission & Permits!